Friday, May 18, 2018

My Mysterious Package Company "Curios & Conundrums" Reproduction Curios for Volume I & II




Back at the end of 2016 I purchased Volume I - III of the Mysterious Package Company's Curios & Conundrums.

I loved it!  I still do.   However the one thing that I hated about getting the "catch-up" issues of Volumes I & II were that the "Curios" were not included....and the curios are necessary to solve some of the hidden puzzles.  In order to work my way through the puzzles I had to reply on photographs that other people had posted on the internet. 

So a few weeks ago I decided that I was going to attempt to reproduce some of the curios.  I gathered supplies and set to work.   I ended up re-creating 32 of the curios (or 38 if you include a curio  that had sub-parts to it.  

My desk was littered with an odd assortment of tools for a while.  A wood burning tool, a small hammer, steel pad, metal stamping kit, a UV pen, a couple bottles of ink, a glass dip pen, markers, scissors, rulers and paper corner cutter punches - just to name a few.  I think I used at least a dozen different kinds of paper too.

The photos below are the results of my labor.   Most of the curios came about beautifully...some others....they are "ok" but nothing to be wowed about.....but at least I have physical objects to go with the issues and that can be used to solve the puzzles.

I made three sets of these.  One for the set I already solved, another to use when I gift the extra copy I bought to someone, and a final set to give to a puzzler friend of mine.

It is probably a violation of copyright/intellectual property to make and sell these so I won't do it.....  But I am curious to know....  What would you be willing to pay?    


Also, if you have any suggestions on how to improve or make additional curios, please let me know.

UPDATE:  5/23/18

Post Options

Post by wortelboer on a few seconds ago

This is a work in progress. I have decided not to include the Yale beast (I can't seem to get the image to transfer onto the leather). So while that has been deleted, I've made some additions...including a couple of items which are necessary to solve the puzzles, but were not original curios.

1. the Witch print to 1.4
2. a Bridge letter packet to 1.2 - this is not a curio but a reproduction of what was found at the Bridge. The coded message will be the shorter solvable message along with a small mirror and the hint and the salad dressing recipe.
3. the hint from Bernard from the Sitting Room need to solve the crossword puzzle is being added to 1.3 (as you will recall the paper had an error. The crossword puzzle numbers were missing)
4. the missing page 7 from the Myles' file will be added to 2.4

Once I get the physical curios and content done, I can then work on creating a USB drive that contains the contents from the websites...puzzles, messages, videos, audio for Volumes I & II and III (not including the Vaults and the Strawberry game). I'm not sure it is possible to do this, but I'm going to give it a shot.


























3 comments:

  1. In a previous job, I wasn't allowed to buy shirts for an event and sell them students. However, I could sell them a ticket to an event (like a meet and greet) and give them a free shirt. So should you decide to make these available to the public, you might be able to sell something, and include these great freebies ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a work in progress. I just got some great info on beast image and will need to rework that item. It has been a lot of fun doing this and it is great to craft my own items.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still have unfinished V. I and II sitting on a shelf, waiting to be opened when I finally get around to completing V. III. I appreciate the attention to detail, but I think I'd cap at $70 for the set ... I mean, $70 for some manilla envelopes mailed to my door, with free curious inside.

    ReplyDelete